New College, University of Edinburgh
SNTS in Berlin

SNTS in Berlin

(Helen Bond) I’m busily getting all my papers in order today for the meeting of the SNTS in Berlin next week. (Technically it stands for Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas, but Society for NT Studies would also work). This is the most prestigious gathering of NT scholars; only people with two books or equivalent are allowed to join; and around 300 or so will be descending on the Humbolt University in Berlin.

That all sounds a bit snooty, but its not. Unlike the SBL which is a massive jamboree of manic networkers and  job-seekers, SNTS is quiet, dignified and unashamedly academic. There are main papers (in English, French and German!), and seminars on a variety of topics (again in three languages). Most of the papers are circulated in advance, so there is plenty of time for high-level discussion – though this can be rather intimidating if you are giving a paper! I’m giving my paper on Herod (see earlier blog), and also a report on the Society’s finances (I’m the treasurer), so it will be a busy few days.

What I really like about the conference is the sense that you get of NT studies being an international venture, not just an English language pheonomenon. And this year promises to be particularly good as three of the main papers are being given by distinguished female colleagues (which makes a nice change): Adela Yarbro Collins (the next President), Elizabeth Struthers Malbon, and Loveday Alexander.

If anyone’s interested in the conference, the Berlin organisers’ website is http://www2.hu-berlin.de/snts2010/index.html

Share Post:
  • CSCO Team,
  • 22nd July 2010

Add comment