New College, University of Edinburgh
British New Testament Conference

British New Testament Conference

(by Helen Bond) The NT team are all off tomorrow (Thurs) to Bangor in Wales for the British NT Conference, an annual gathering of pretty much everyone in the UK involved in teaching and/or researching matters to do with the NT.  Its a conference that has a particular link for all of us: Paul Foster was on the committee for some years; I was on the committee and am presently co-chair of the Synoptics Seminar; and Larry Hurtado is about to start on a three year stint as President of the Society. Larry also tells me that its the 30th anniversary of the Society, so we’ll have to make sure that we celebrate in an appropriate manner . . .

This year the Synoptics Seminar is joining up with the Social World Seminar for a special session on the social world of Mark’s gospel. Its actually the second of a three year programme. We have some papers approaching things from a sociological perspective and others delving into social history and Mark’s gospel. My own paper is an attempt to read the Markan Jewish trial narrative as inspired by synagogue gerousiai (possibly in Rome) rather than a recollection of a trial before a (non-existent) Judaean Sanhedrin. We’ll have to see how it goes down. If anyone is interested in contributing a paper next year, I’d be interested to hear from you.

Share Post:
  • CSCO Team,
  • 1st September 2010

Comments

• Mirko Filipovic, 26th September 2010 at 9:35 am | Reply

This is the 2nd occasion I have come across your blog post in the last couple weeks. Seems like I ought to take note of it.

• Casey Alway, 27th September 2010 at 1:49 am | Reply

Fantastic blog! I actually love how it is easy on my eyes as well as the information are well written. I am wondering how I can be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which should do the trick! Have a nice day!

Add comment